Friday, February 18, 2011

That Aha Moment- Meet Nicole!

In honour of Valentines Love season and with the help of some of my blogger friends I introduce the first in a  short series -


 The question I am asking is and they happily agree to answer:
Do you remember that AHA moment when you KNEW he was the one, that this was it. This was the man you were going to marry!
I am so happy to have my friend Nicole of  "When Did I become my Mom!" answer this question:
A little intro -Nicole like me is from the sunny twin isle of Trinidad and Tobago. Trinidad is currently in the Carnival season. Carnival is the greatest most beautiful show/street party in the world... hey I may be biased but that is okay I am a Trini LOL.


When Did I Become My Mom

Carnival fever is here! The beat of life changes - there's an energy of joyful, suspenseful anticipation in the air.
For us Trinis, Carnival Monday and Tuesday are like the ultimate stress release valve.
We forget our cares and worries, and enjoy being people - in tune with the music and vibrance and friendship that's wrapped up in the ultimate street party!

For me, that stress release valve starts opening for real at Panorama - where steelbands battle it out for the crown of Pan Champions.
As one friend describes it - it's the embodiment of the audacity of hope of my people.
The steelpan is only musical instrument invented in the 20th century and each pan begins as an abandoned oil drum.
Tuned and beaten over fire, it is destined to be transformed into tenor, guitar, cello, bass, and join together in a symphony of steel, melodies of a people coaxed with rubber-tipped sticks.

THAT is Panorama!

A celebration of wonder and possibility of daring to believe!

I never miss it.

For more reasons than one.


You see, if it wasn't for Panorama, I'd never have met my husband.

The son of a pan-man, he never misses Panorama either. He has a love for the steel - I have a love for what it represents.
Every year, I would see him. Every year we'd strike up conversation.
We didn't have friends in common, but such is the "all of we is one" of Carnival.
He was funny and reckless, but we'd never see each other again for the rest of the year - our social circles being totally out of sync.

But every year I would wonder....



In 2000 I returned to Panorama after a 4 year absence, having been abroad pursuing my Bachelor's degree.
I was back for good, and this was my first Carnival in 4 years - I was intent on enjoying every moment of it!
Returning to Panorama again... I wondered... would I see him.

I did.

We had a great time. And we drew stares of surprise -from his friends and mine. :-)

We made arrangements to meet at the next fete. And the next, and the next.

And I knew.

I think I always knew.

This year marks our 10th wedding anniversary. It's not til June, but we'll be celebrating early.

After all... this weekend is Panorama!







If you would like to join in please send me an email at gaylenjcdotgmaildotcom I would be happy to post it!

3 comments:

I love reading your opinion please leave a comment